The latest phase in the development of the world-class spa at Chewton Glen was unveiled on the 25th July. Anita Rosato and her team have created a design that has transformed the spa, giving it an ambience that befits the award-winning leisure facility that is Chewton Glen.
At the heart of Chewton Glen’s spa is a fabulous 17 metre indoor pool. Flooded with natural light, Anita’s interior design scheme incorporates elegant new wall murals which hint at the hotel’s countryside location. New tiling reflects the refreshed colour scheme, with muted colours encouraging relaxation, and new pool furniture offering the ultimate in spa day comfort.
In addition to the physical transformation of the spa, the new space will debut a new spa treatment menu which includes two alfresco treehouse treatments. The ‘stripped back’ spa menu – the first of its kind in the UK – has taken a ‘less is more approach’ that will see therapists create fully bespoke treatments for guests. Guests will be able to select a treatment which will be fully individualised to include Oskia facials, warm oil massages, and recovery-based body treatments.
From the indoor pool, guests can enjoy the stunning setting of the hydrotherapy spa, which takes the ancient tradition of the ‘water cure’ and offers it in a luxurious modern setting. The spacious pool has six hi-tech therapy options: an ‘air-tub’, which provides an all-over bubbly Jacuzzi-like effect; an ‘air bench’, that softly massage your body while you are seated; powerful body jets, used to target specific muscles and joints; 60 ‘pin prick’ jets, which provide a deep lower body massage; blissfully relaxing air loungers, for ergonomically controlled, therapeutic body massages; and a central pool offering neck and shoulder massages of varying pressure. Anita’s design breathes a new lease of life into the hydrotherapy spa.
In addition to the water-based activities, the design team have also refreshed the changing room facilities and the relaxed setting of the Pool Bar restaurant, the perfect place to relax with friends and family, has received a summer face lift in addition to delicious new healthy menus.
Commenting on the transformation of the spa facilities at Chewton Glen, Kerry Hudson, Spa Director of Iconic Luxury Hotels said: “When we first opened our spa at Chewton Glen back in 1990, we were one of the first, if not the first, luxury country house hotel to design and build a purpose-built spa. Now a hotel without a spa is consider unusual and surprising. My team and I are delighted that Chewton Glen continues to lead the way in the provision of excellent spa facilities for all of our guests, whether staying overnight, or visiting for the day. If there was ever a time for self-care it is now, and the health and safety for our guests and staff remains the first priority. The new facilities will provide our Spa Members with a fabulous environment in which to continue to enjoy the numerous benefits of membership of the Chewton Glen Spa. By their very nature, spas have always had extremely strict hygiene protocols, so this is already an inbuilt part of the way we work but while existing protocols will remain in place, there are also going to be additional updates and extra precautions taken to protect the wellbeing of both guests and therapists. It is undoubtedly a testament to the energy, passion and creativity of the entire team at Chewton Glen and the investment and commitment of our ownership, that we are focused on continually improving and innovating”.
Chewton Glen is a five-red star privately-owned luxury country house hotel, located on the edge of the ancient New Forest National Park in Hampshire and just a few minutes’ walk from the sea. Featuring an award-winning restaurant, world-class spa and leisure activities, luxurious accommodation and modern meeting facilities, the hotel has 72 individually designed bedrooms and suites including 14 tree-house suites, a nine-hole par three golf course, croquet lawn, indoor and outdoor tennis courts and a spa which has been voted the best in Europe and a purpose-built cookery school, bakery and informal restaurant opened in association with James Martin.
Chewton Glen is a member of Iconic Luxury Hotels, a collection of England’s finest iconic hotels which also includes Cliveden House in Berkshire, 11 Cadogan Gardens in the heart of Chelsea, The Lygon Arms in the Cotswolds and The Mayfair Townhouse in London which is due to open in October 2020. Each property has its own character but they share a common commitment to delivering outstanding experiences.
The Spa at Chewton Glen offers the ultimate in relaxation and luxury. The facilities which total over 1,350 square metres, include:
17 metre indoor swimming pool
- State of the art gymnasium with Technogym fitness equipment, cardio theatre, Kinesis wall and Powerplate
- Hydrotherapy spa pool with six hi-tech therapy options
- Purpose-built dance studio with daily programme of exercise and relaxation classes
- Aromatherapy saunas and crystal steam rooms
- Eleven single treatment suites and one double treatment suite
- Luxurious Pool Bar and Lounge with specially formulated healthy menu option
- Relaxation suite
- Outdoor whirlpool
- Cold drench showers
- Tennis centre with two indoor and two outdoor tennis courts
- Nine-hole, par-3 golf course
- Woodland jogging and walking trails
- Nail Studio offering top to toe beauty treatments
- Extensive treatment programme curated by Natura Bissé and OSKIA
- Chewton Glen body collection and OSKIA
- Spa & Country Club membership facilities
In line with Covid-19 guidelines, Chewton Glen has introduced the following safety and hygiene measures:
On opening the spa will be available to residents and members only
- The gym, indoor and outdoor pools, changing rooms will be disinfected on a regular basis
- Hand sanitising stations will be in place in entrance of all areas in the spa and health club
- Gym equipment will be disinfected between each guest’s use; either by the guest or by health club attendant. A validation method will be in place
- Signage and a procedure will be in place to ensure social distancing is followed
- In spa treatment rooms, all surfaces and fixtures will be disinfected between each client
- Spot mop cleaning and disinfection will be performed on spills when they occur
- Treatment rooms will be allocated per therapist and electrostatic sanitisation of all common areas and treatment rooms will take place daily
- All tools and equipment will be sanitised after each client (e.g. combs, brushes, hairpins, rollers)
- Work out mats will be removed
- We will only offer bottled water
- We will remove all reading material
- You will be given a towel and robe when you check into the spa
- Class sizes will be reduced