Break the back-to-work blues and book a getaway to NSW’s Sapphire Coast now. Accommodation options are available to suit all budgets.
Take a scenic six-hour road trip from Sydney, 2.5-hour drive from Canberra or short one-hour flight into Merimbula and discover a holiday paradise. With uncrowded beaches, pristine nature, fresh produce and new dining options, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
Make the most of 2021 and use these 21 gems as a guide to the ultimate Sapphire Coast getaway:
- Stay and splash: Check the family into NRMA Merimbula Beach Holiday Park and make the most of their large resort-style heated pool complex, tennis court and sand volleyball court. The onsite kids club and family fun park are sure to delight. Cabins from $141/night.
- Go glamping: Stay the night in a luxury glamping tent in the Towamba Valley at Currajong Retreat. Located 40-minutes inland from Eden, enjoy secluded accommodation and a private deck with bathtub overlooking the pretty river and valley below. Tents start from $660 per night, with a minimum two-night stay on weekends.
- Caravanning: The Sapphire Coast boasts a number of caravan parks in fantastic locations. BIG4 Tathra Beach Holiday Park, Eden Beachfront Holiday Park, Eden Gateway Holiday Park or Wonboyn Cabins and Caravan Park all have availability with powered campsites from as little as $30/night for a powered campsite.
- Get the gang together: If you’re holidaying with family and friends, stay at The River Mouth Beach House in Pambula. The property comprises five bedrooms (sleeps 10) and boasts magnificent views of Pambula Beach River Mouth and the famous Pambula Beach Bar. From $1,200/night through
- Book a paw-some treat for all: Bring your four-legged friend along and book into the pet-friendly Bermagui Holiday Letting. Situated on the foreshore with loads of nearby lawn for pets to roam around, this three-bedroom apartment is just a five-minute walk to everything. Apartment hire $195/night, with a three-night minimum stay.
- Get back to nature: Book yourself into Bumblebrook Farm, a 100-acre property in the beautiful Bega Valley, and unwind amongst nature while the kids help feed the chickens, ducks, goats and sheep. Cabins start from $130/night, with a two-night minimum stay on long weekends.
- Live Luxe: For a luxury stay in Merimbula, Coast Resort offers a stunning selection of privately owned apartments, townhouses and penthouses in a coastal oasis just seconds from pristine ocean beaches and inland waterways. Overnight stays start from $420/night.
- Go diving: Experience the natural beauty of the Sapphire Coast’s crystal-clear ocean and join the team at Dive Eden for a one-on-one scuba lesson or grab some friends and embark on a guided snorkelling or diving tour of Eden wrecks.
- Throw a line in: Head out on the water with the family owned and operated Fishpen Charters, on a three-or five-hour fishing charter, departing daily from Mitches Jetty in Merimbula.
- Kid around: Kids of all ages will satisfy their thirst for adventure at Magic Mountain Amusement Park with water slides, toboggan rides, mini golf and more. The new Tree Climb Challenge is sure to give the whole family a thrill!
- Go wild: Get up close and learn more about kangaroos, rescued koalas, emus, peacocks, quolls and more native Australian wildlife at Potoroo Palace Native Animal Educational Sanctuary in the Bega Valley, just a 10-minute drive from Merimbula.
- Catch a wave: Learn to surf with Bermi Surf School, and opt for a one-on-one or group lesson. Learn ocean awareness, surf safety and etiquette, and board riding skills – all you need to bring is yourself and ‘fun vibes’!
- Hit the town: Hit the small main street of Pambula and live like a local. Grab a pie at Wild Rye’s Baking Co, check out the homewares at Black Daisy Trading or the surfboards at Jed Done Surfboards before joining in a class with Pure Body Yoga.
- Get shucked: Oysters are a must-do for any visit to NSW’s far South Coast. The new Oyster Barn by Merimbula Gourmet Oysters brings you the freshest oysters straight from the leases, overlooking the very spot from which they were sourced – Merimbula Lake.
- Destination dining: Another new kid on the block, Valentina Restaurant, is tipped by the locals to be ‘the next big thing in town’. Make a booking to experience this coastal dining delight overlooking Merimbula Lake, for a leisurely lunch, delicious dinner or summer afternoon aperitif.
- Take a walk: Put on your walking shoes and embark on the Light to Light Walk in Ben Boyd National Park. Enjoy small sections of the walk on a three-day guided trek between Ben Boyds Tower and Green Cape Lighthouse with Sapphire Coast Guiding Co and Life’s An Adventure.
- Eat on the run: Head to Fry Daze Food Truck for casual, waterfront takeaway near Eden’s wharf for a locally caught, hot seafood takeaway meal.
- Support the local community: Drop into Cranky Café in Merimbula and support the humble locals who kept their doors open every day during the January 2020 bushfires to serve the locals and act as a point of contact for the community.
- Sign up for some gin-tuition: Grab a group of friends and book in for Gin School with the team from multi-award-winning North of Eden distillery, and learn how to make your own bespoke bottle of gin.
- Quench your thirst: Check out the brand-new brewing room at Longstocking Brewery in Pambula and sample some of their own brew while listening to live music.
- Treat yourself with a fine dining experience: The heritage listed Old Pambula Bank is home to Banksia Restaurant, where the three-course set dinners from chef Huw Jones and his wife Renee Loftus showcase the very best of the region’s abundant local produce.
Share your favourite Sydney and NSW holidays on social media by using the hashtag #LoveNSW or #NewSouthWales.
Visit NSW Social Media
Twitter Sydney #ilovesydney #LoveNSW @sydney_sider
Twitter NSW #LoveNSW #NewSouthWales @NewSouthWales
Instagram Sydney #ilovesydney #LoveNSW @sydney
Instagram NSW #LoveNSW #NewSouthWales @VisitNSW
Facebook Sydneyfacebook.com/seesydney #ilovesydney #LoveNSW
Facebook NSWfacebook.com/visitnsw #LoveNSW #NewSouthWales