LIVE A NEW YEAR OF ADVENTURE
SAGA PROCLAIMS 2020 THE YEAR OF ADVENTURE FOR OLDER TRAVELLERS
At this time of year many people are considering their New Year’s Resolutions, however evidence suggests that only 9% of people continue to deliver on the goals that they set themselves. This year Saga, the lifestyle brand for older travellers, is providing a host of inspiration to help people ensure that they can at least stick to their travel resolutions in 2020, and really make it their year of adventure.
When asked what adventures Saga members would like to do, seeing the famous Northern Lights (65%) or taking a helicopter tour over Monserrat (47%) were amongst the top choices. But personal adventure can take many forms with more than 44% wanting to see the Taj Mahal and the same number wanting to adventure a little closer to home and explore the Giant’s Causeway.
When it comes to making resolutions, the key advice includes making those goals attainable, planning ahead and rewarding yourself regularly. Saga’s own research shows that their holiday guests are often seeking to indulge themselves a little by seeking more adventure in their lives – whether that’s something closer to home or choosing to travel a little further afield. However, for many, the key is to know that the detail is taken care of.
Throughout 2020 Saga is encouraging their guests to make it their year to adventure. In August, Saga will christen its much-anticipated second boutique cruise ship, Spirit of Adventure, as well as hosting a new set of ‘Explore Ashore’ experiences across the world for those who sail upon her. Saga is also continually finding ways to help people with their everyday adventures through its year-round, free-to-join Possibilities membership programme – offering discounts on dining venues through to money can’t buy events and experiences.
New for 2020, Saga Holidays additions include discovering Croatia’s majestic countryside and the spectacular Krka Falls where green forests and tranquil lakes frame the spectacle of roaring cataracts and tumbling cascades. Guests can also join an exclusive behind-the-scenes Italian carnival experience, meeting the secretive master-builders of incredible painted papier mâché centerpieces at the Putignano Carnival in Bari. Cruisers on one of Saga’s Spirit of Discovery’s Norwegian trips will adventure far from any light pollution, to observe the celestial Northern Lights show with a scientific Arctic explorer before heading to a wilderness spot where they can snuggle around a campfire for a truly magical experience.
On all adventures, the Saga holiday and cruise inclusions ensure that guests can commit to travelling in luxury with VIP additions as standard on all holidays so that every detail is taken care of. Features include door-to-door chauffeur driven transfers, included travel insurance and balconies on every cruise on Spirit of Adventure and Spirit of Discovery.
Saga is a specialist in the provision of products and services for life after 50. The Saga brand is one of the most recognised and trusted brands in the UK and is known for its high level of customer service and its high quality, award winning products and services including cruises and holidays, insurance, personal finance and publishing. Visit saga.co.uk
Britain’s lifestyle brand for the over 50s, Saga, has proclaimed 2020 as the ultimate Year of Adventure. In the year that Saga will launch its much-anticipated boutique cruise ship, aptly christened Spirit of Adventure, the team behind travel, cruise and insurance products, is providing an ever-extending range of exciting options for the UK’s more mature generation as adventure becomes an everyday reality.
- SPIRIT OF ADVENTURE
2019 saw the launch of Saga’s much lauded, British boutique cruise ship Spirit of Discovery. And, in August 2020, her even more adventurous sister will join her. With a wider range of international restaurants, boutique styling and with all cabins having a private balcony, Spirit of Adventure is very much a sister ship – not a twin!
Spirit of Adventure’s bold and contemporary look is being masterminded by top British design agency AD Associates, whose talented collective boast an impeccable travel and hospitality portfolio.
Nigel Blanks, Managing Director of Saga Cruises says, “With her striking design, distinctive new venues and innovative speciality restaurants, Spirit of Adventure will certainly have a unique personality. I believe she’ll complement Spirit of Discovery, and fulfil our promise of boutique luxury, perfectly.”
Each Spirit of Adventure and Spirit of Discovery cruise also features Saga’s dynamic adventure concierge service, Explore Ashore.
- EXPLORE ASHORE
Explore Ashore is a new way for Saga guests to experience their destinations. An exciting service, led by the Saga’s on-board team of experts, brimming with local knowledge, guests will find their adventure concierge at the travel desk on their ship, ready to help them get the most out of their time on land, all at no extra charge to the guests.
HOT LIST HOLIDAYS AND ADVENTUROUS INCLUSIONS
- In search of the Northern Lights: Husky Sled Ride – Embark on a memorable Arctic experience as you travel for 40 minutes to the Tromsø Husky Farm which is home to 120 huskies. Listen to the excited yips and yammering as the huskies get revved up for a thrilling sled ride following trails through the wild and snowy Breivikeidet valley. Travelling in pairs, you’ll take turns at being the driver or “musher”.https://travel.saga.co.uk/holidays/destinations/europe/norway/in-search-of-norways-northern-lights.aspx
- Fjord cruise – Explore the local people’s relationship with the sea as you set sail on a cruise around Tromsø’s fjords where you can appreciate their outstanding beauty in daylight. A local expert will give a presentation on the area and you may even be lucky enough to spot whales breaching the chilly water. https://travel.saga.co.uk/holidays/destinations/europe/norway/in-search-of-norways-northern-lights.aspx?boardbasis=NONE#app-Tabs-activeTab|excursions||
- Jewels of Croatia: Krka Waterfalls and Sibenik -Discover Croatia’s majestic countryside as you travel along the Krka valley to spectacular Krka Falls, where green forests and tranquil lakes frame the spectacle of roaring cataracts and tumbling cascades. Then visit Sibenik, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Set at the mouth of the River Krka, the town experienced its heyday in the 15th century and you can see vestiges of this golden era in the old town, the site of the former Bishop’s Palace and the 15th-century Ducal Palace. https://travel.saga.co.uk/holidays/destinations/europe/croatia/jewels-of-croatia.aspx#app-Tabs-activeTab|excursions||
- Borneo: Kota Kinabalu & Manukan Island Resort: Sandakan sanctuaries – Visit two wildlife conservation projects that rehabilitate animals with the goal of returning them to the wild – Sepilok Orang-utan Centre, established in 1964 to rehabilitate orphan orang-utans, and Sun Bear Conservation Centre. Afterwards seek out the primates in the mangrove forests of Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey Sanctuary.
- Gaya Island Jungle Trek – Make the short crossing of 10 minutes or so to Gaya Island – the biggest island in the Tunku Abdul Rahman Park and home to the largest island rainforest too. There is a forest trail around 2 kilometres long stretching through the dense undergrowth between Base Camp and Padang Point. During your guided walk, keep an eye out for wild boar, snakes and monkeys. https://travel.saga.co.uk/holidays/destinations/asia/borneo/kota-kinabalu-and-manukan-island-resort.aspx#app-Tabs-activeTab|excursions||
- Mongolia: Land of the Blue Sky: Experience authentic ger camps – A ger is a traditional Mongolian tent that has been used for over 3,000 years, since the Mongols started nomadic life. Set in the most spectacular of locations, offering incredible views of the surrounding landscape, a stay in a ger camp is the best way to experience authentic nomadic life first hand.https://travel.saga.co.uk/holidays/destinations/asia/mongolia/mongolia-land-of-the-blue-sky.aspx
- Trans-Siberian Railway and the Naadam Festival: Ulaan Baatar – Naadam Festival – Wake up in the capital of Mongolia, a metropolis with a blend of Soviet-era buildings and gleaming Chinese skyscrapers before continuing to the National Stadium for the opening ceremony of the Naadam Festival, an annual, nationwide festival featuring horse racing, archery and wrestling, plus Mongolian music, singing and dancing. Due to its significance in terms of ‘cultural diversity and creative expression’ Naadam has also been placed on the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List
- Land of the Eagle: Albanian eating experience – For a truly immersive experience of Albanian hospitality and cuisine join an optional excursion to the restaurant of a famous Albanian chef for dinner.
- Sicily: Mount Etna and more – Monte Pellegrino and Mondello – Head to the summit of Monte Pellegrino for breathtaking views across the city before continuing to the charming coastal resort of Mondello, known for its golden sands, pier and range of gourmet eateries along the beach. https://travel.saga.co.uk/holidays/destinations/europe/italy/sicily/sicily-mount-etna-and-more.aspx#app-Tabs-activeTab|excursions||
HOT LIST CRUISES OPTIONS ABOARD SPIRIT OF DISCOVERY
- An Italian Premiere: Top secret – From Bari you can join an exclusive behind-the-scenes carnival experience. Meet the secretive master-builders of the Putignano Carnival who create incredible painted papier mâché centerpieces before ambling through an exquisitely restored mansion – you can even don lavish costumes for the occasion. https://travel.saga.co.uk/cruises/ocean/where-we-go/european-cruises/an-italian-premiere.aspx
- Norway’s Night Skies: Included Northern Lights excursion: We will take you to the best spot, far from any light pollution, to observe this celestial light show. A scientific Arctic explorer will give a talk on the prevailing atmospheric conditions before you travel to a secluded wilderness spot where you can snuggle around a campfire. https://travel.saga.co.uk/cruises/ocean/where-we-go/norway-cruises/norways-night-skies.aspx
- Sounds of Spain: Fiery Flamenco – For a real feast for the senses, join a visit to an authentic gypsy family who’ll warmly invite you inside their home, a cave that’s been hollowed out of Almeria’s soft chalk hills! Here you’ll be moved by a spirited performance of traditional Andalusian music and dance coupled with a warming glass of sherry.
HOT LIST CRUISES OPTIONS ABOARD SPIRIT OF ADVENTURE
- The Inaugural Cruise – Experience ballet in St Petersburg – Russian artists have had a huge influence on this elegant form of dance throughout history. St Petersburg is home to several world-renowned schools of ballet where Anna Pavlova, Rudolf Nureyev and Uliana Lopatkina all studied. So where better to experience this enchanting dance form for yourself than at one of the city’s stunning theatres?
- A Taste of France and Spain – A treat for the senses – Enjoy a visit to the fragrant fields and nurseries of Cantinho das Aromaticas in Vila Nova de Gaia where you can sample award-winning infusions made from the aromatic flowers grown on site. You can even volunteer your services for the day, tending to the meticulously planted rows of medicinal plants and culinary herbs. https://travel.saga.co.uk/cruises/ocean/where-we-go/european-cruises/a-taste-of-france-and-spain.aspx
- Rhythm of the Caribbean – How low can you go? – Enjoy the unmistakable sounds of the steel drum and watch a lively performance of limbo, where dancers will literally bend over backwards to keep you entertained! This unusual form of dance originated on the island of Trinidad, so where better to see this city and culture show than on the island itself. https://travel.saga.co.uk/cruises/ocean/where-we go/caribbean-cruises/rhythm-of-the-caribbean.aspx
Issued on behalf of Saga by Excess Energy Communications. For further info, images or interviews, please contact Rhona Gardiner on Rhona@excess-energy.co.uk or on 07740 410052.
Saga is a specialist in the provision of products and services for life after 50. The Saga brand is one of the most recognised and trusted brands in the UK and is known for its high level of customer service and its high quality, award winning products and services including cruises and holidays, insurance, personal finance and publishing.
Saga has recently celebrated a number of BTA Wins and the Cruise Critic Win ‘Best for New Ship’ and Best for Solos.’
- Gold Awards include: Best Small Ship Cruise Line/Best Ultra-Small / Boutique Cruise Line/Best Singles Holiday Company – Large/Best Special Interest Holiday Company – Large/Best Escorted Adventure Holiday – Large/Best Holiday Company to East and Central Asia – Large
- Silver Awards include: Best Holiday Company to Central and South America – Large/Best No-Fly Cruise Line
- Bronze Awards include: Best Escorted Tour Company – Large/ Best Holiday Company to Sub-Saharan Africa – Large/ Best Holiday Company to the Middle East – Large/ Best Holiday Company to Southern Asia – Large