Skyscanner data shows this is the week to bag a spring half-term bargain
Parents looking for a unique Christmas gift for the family might want to consider a holiday for everyone to enjoy and look forward to in 2019. Whilst it might seem like ages away until the Spring break, this week is the best time for travellers to jump online and find themselves a bargain break for next year’s Whitsun half term¹. The travel experts at Skyscanner have crunched their data and uncovered the best time to book spring break flights, to save up to 28% is 26 weeks in advance¹, and popular family destination Orlando has seen a 16% drop in flight prices YoY².
Lisa Tyndall, Senior Growth Manager from Skyscanner comments: “Looking at our flight data we can see that the best time to book flights for spring half term tends to be 26 weeks in advance of travel and could save travellers up to 28%¹. However, our data has also shown that this year’s spring break travel bookings were last minute, with 26%³ of exits made in May. And whilst Christmas is at the forefront of most people’s minds, with deals to Orlando from as little as £367 return, saving 32% off the average flight price, it’s worth considering a Spring family holiday as a gift this Yuletide.”
where to go for value – Value Destinations for Whitsun 2019
Luqa, Malta is currently leading the way in value destinations for Spring 2019, with average prices dropping by 35%, saving a family of four £360². For those seeking destinations further afield, Los Angeles is showing great savings of 17%, and family favourite destination Orlando has dropped 16% YoY, resulting in a fantastic £424 for a family of four.
|VALUE DESTINATIONS FOR WHITSUN HALF TERM 2019²|
|City||2018 Price Per Adult Return||2019 Price Per Adult Return||price difference||% price drop|
great Deals Available
(Prices correct at time of publication on 27th November and are subject to change and availability)
One week in Orlando from only £367 per person per return, saving 32% off the average flight price for 2019. Deal here (average flight price is £540.15 per adult return4)
One week in Luqa, Malta from only £127 per person per return, saving 24% off the average flight price for 2019. Deal here. (average flight price is £167.09 per adult return4)
One week in Los Angeles from only £178 per person per return, saving 28% off the average flight price for 2019. Deal here (average flight price is £386.39 per adult return4)
One week in Larnaca from only £283 per person per return, saving 12% off the average flight price for 2019. Deal here (average flight price is £320.58 per adult return4)
One week in Malaga from only £178 per person per return, saving 27% off the average flight price for 2019. Deal here (average flight price is £244.91 per adult return4)
Skyscanner has the following travel hacks to help travellers find the best deals this festive season:
- Be flexible on the date of travel and consider travelling on a week day rather than the weekend – You might find it’s significantly cheaper to travel a day before or a day after your original departure dates. Skyscanner has just launched their Money Saving button which flags to travellers if their flight might be cheaper if they were to travel a day earlier or a day later. Also considering flying on less popular days of the week. It pays to do your research by using Skyscanner’s Month View search tool.
- Mix and Match: Fares don’t have to be booked as returns, instead you can save money by flying out with one airline and back with another.
- Nearby Airports: Just click on ‘add nearby airports’ when creating your search and see if a short drive, bus or train journey could save you pounds
- Search Everywhere: For those with a limited budget but an unlimited imagination, Skyscanner recommends using its Search Everywhere tool, which will find the cheapest destinations to travel to for a specific date period.
- Monitor prices – The best way of getting a good fare is to keep track of the prices by setting up a price alert so that you are notified when prices rise or fall on a specific route.
For more information, please contact Emma Wiseman on 07747 343233 or firstname.lastname@example.org
¹ Best time to book is based on historic Skyscanner flight booking data for the Christmas period travelling out of the UK between 26.05.2018 to 03.06.2018. Price data is based on return economy adult fares. These results should be considered as a guide for travellers and whilst we have identified the average flight prices and best time to book, there will never be one date where it can guarantee that flight prices will be at their cheapest.
² Based on Skyscanner.net average flight price data for average return economy flights from the UK to destinations listed between 26 May 2018 – 3 June 2018, exiting the site between 1st January – 25th November 2017, comparing against 25 May 2019 – 2 June 2019, exiting the site between 1st January – 25th November 2018.
³ Based on Skyscanner.net flight exits from the UK to all destinations, departing the UK between 26 May 2018 – 3 June 2018, made on the Skyscanner site between June 2017-May 2018
4 Average flight price for 2019 based on Skyscanner.net flight exits for return adult economy fares from the UK to destination listed, for travel between 25 May 2019 – 2 June 2019, exiting the site between 1st January – 25th November 2018.
Notes to editors
- Skyscanner is the world’s travel search engine, providing free search of flights, hotels, trains and car hire
- Founded in 2003, Skyscanner helps over 70 million people each month to find their travel options
- Skyscanner is available in 30 languages
- Skyscanner’s highly-rated free mobile app has been downloaded over 70 million times
- Skyscanner employs over 1000 staff and has eleven offices across the world: Barcelona, Beijing, Budapest, Edinburgh, Glasgow, London, Miami, Palo Alto, Shenzhen, Singapore and Sofia
- Skyscanner is part of the Ctrip group
For more information, please visit www.skyscanner.net