Thailand has extended the We Travel Together subsidised scheme to cover an additional two million people, in another bid to boost domestic tourism.
In addition, the Thai cabinet also approved a package tour stimulus program called Tour Tiew Thai.
It is the third phase of We Travel Together, which was in danger of being scrapped altogether due to rampant fraud from tourism operators, who billed the taxpayer for thousands of bogus bookings.
The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) redesigned the program to prevent further misuse.
It has now been extended from its original end date of 30 April to 31 August.
We Travel Together was launched to stimulate domestic travel, shopping and dining out to help revive the tourism sector.
Registered participants pay only 60% on hotel room rates while the government subsides the remaining 40%.
Under the new Tour Tiew Thai scheme, the government will subsidise 40% of the payment, up to a total of THB5,000 per person.
The Thai government also announced a multi-billion dollat stimulus package for businesses impacted by the pandemic across multiple sectors.