The US-Canada border will likely remain off-limits for tourists for an extra month at least.
A border restriction is currently in place until May 21 but will now be extended until June 21, according to Canadian government officials.
An official decision will be announced soon, an unnamed government official told Canadian media, saying the US is ‘almost certain’ to agree to an extension.
Canada had pressed for extending the restrictions which bans travel for general tourism purposes but allows the flow of trade between the two counties.
Chad Wolf, acting US Department of Homeland Security secretary, said restrictions at the southern Mexico border will also likely be extended.
The Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec are at most risk as they border New York state which has been the US’ Covid-19 hotspot.
There is apparently some anger in Canada at how fast some US states are pushing to reopen even as Covid-19 cases continue to rise.
“The United States being one country that still has cases and is still trying to manage outbreaks that present a risk to Canada,” Theresa Tam, Canada’s chief public health officer, said earlier this week.
Border crossings were first restricted on March 21 and have been extended once already.